Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Thankful List


Happy Thanksgiving!!

I've had trouble this year getting into the mood for Thanksgiving. I remember when I was a kid being SO excited about it, waking up on Thanksgiving morning SO happy that the day had finally arrived. It was almost like Christmas! Even as an adult, I've always loved Thanksgiving. But this year was different. For whatever reason, the excitement just wasn't there.

I happened upon this blog post the other day and was inspired. I made plans to sit down the night before Thanksgiving with my tea and write down what I was thankful for. Then last night, shortly before my "thankfulness appointment", I read this post. What glorious perspective!! If my thanks is not going to God, then I may as well not even bother being thankful.

So, with a prayer of thanksgiving to God, here are a few things I am thankful for:

  • Potty training! 3 out of 4. I never thought I'd see the day.
  • Hot tea on a cold night, the warmth rising up to steam my glasses
  • A happy baby, even if it is after bedtime
  • Clean countertops after a long day of cooking
  • A home warmed by more than just the furnace
  • Children laughing together instead of fighting
  • My husband's smile
  • A son still young enough to want his mom to tuck him in
  • Warm cornbags at the foot of my bed
  • Handpainted yarn and smooth bamboo needles
  • Books strewn around the living room by my exuberant "reader"
  • A comfortable chair
  • Casual conversation in the grocery store -a miracle from the child who didn't say mama until she was 4
  • Food in my cupboards
  • Clean water in abundance
  • Indoor plumbing
  • Laundry
  • 2 cars in the driveway
  • Healthy children
  • A faithful husband
  • Close knit extended family
  • Restored relationships
  • Forgiveness, given and received
  • Grace like rain
  • Mercy, new every morning
  • Trials, for testing produces faith
  • Lean times, for they bring creativity
  • Sovereignty of the Almighty, working all things to His glory
  • Perfection soiled by earth's dirt to feel what I feel
  • Sacrifice, His life poured out for mine
  • Victory! O death where is thy sting?
  • Savior, taking my hand in His
  • Hope that there is more than this
  • Life, eternally
  • Joy, forevermore

Oh, yes. There is much to be thankful for.

May you all have a blessed day of giving Thanks to our Glorious God.

No comments: