Friday, October 05, 2007

Opposition

I knew that it would come sooner or later.

I shared the news about Jade at our autism support group meeting this week. Jade's former & current Speech & Language Pathologist's are all a part of the group. While they kept saying that they supported my decision, they also kept trying to convince me to change my mind. "what about half-days?" they said. "What about just changing the IEP to make things easier on her?" What about this, what about that...

I did my best to describe why we made our decision. There were parts of it they just didn't get. Like the part where I said that our family held to certain standards of behavior and the things she brought home from school didn't fit that. My 6 year old now swears and tells everyone to shutup. She didn't learn that here. And the concept that our family life was more important than what she learns at school. These are women who put in 8-10 hours at work every day... I guess the idea of a functional family life was a bit lost on them. Which is horribly sad.

I guess out of the whole thing, I am just praising God for giving me the backbone to stand up for myself and the grace to not ruin any friendships in the process.

1 comment:

revjac said...

Hi Honey,

You're right, you knew it was coming. Yet God gave you the wherewithal to stand your ground (His ground) and He will honor you, Teagan, Jade, and the rest of your children for doing so. It's hard for those in the system to see anything other than the system. You all follow a different, better, "system" - the divine plan of God! We will continue to hold you all up in prayer and you seek God's direction and move down this new path.

We love you!
Mom & Chuck