Friday, May 23, 2008

Frugal Friday: Musgo!

I don't know if everyone makes Musgo, or if it was my mother-in-law's invention, but it's another great frugal tip to stretch that food dollar!

"Musgo" stands for Must-Go! Making musgo for dinner involves taking a bunch of leftovers and creating something new. It can come in the form of a soup or a casserole. Sometimes you can add something new to the mix to bring it all together.

Last night we had musgo. And I totally fooled my dear son into eating a food he really dislikes. In my refrigerator was some leftover corn & black bean chili. In my cupboard was some ratatouille that I canned last summer. I love fresh ratatouille, but it just doesn't taste as good out of a jar. But what do I do with the 6 jars of it that are left? It Must Go! I threw the ratatouille in the blender and pureed it smooth. I added the chili, a can of corn, and a bunch of chili powder & cumin. Simmer 20 minutes and it tastes like chili!! Kordell never knew the difference.

So, I used up leftovers, saved money, and got veggies into my family. Sounds like a winner to me!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yum, what a great idea!