Friday, May 09, 2008

Frugal Gardening: Divide & Conquer!

Yesterday Noni called and asked if she could bring over a few plants for my garden.Sure, I said, I could use the help. My "garden" consisted of a bed full of creeping charlie weeds and one hosta. Of course I'll let the master gardener come over!

She brought some decorative grass, coneflowers, primroses, and canterbury bells that she had pulled from her garden. We were trying to decide where to put them, and I showed her what I had intended to do 3 years ago.

See, when we moved in here there was a pitiful, ugly garden in the middle of the front yard. It's redeeming quality was 6 or so hostas. I wanted to dig them out and plant them around the front of the house. But I was pregnant that summer and it didn't get done. My husband has a venegance against ugly yards, and has spent the past 2 summers digging, grating, and filling in to make our yard look better. At the expense of the hostas. It's easier to drive over them with the tractor than move them.

Noni said that hostas are hearty and maybe they survived, so we started searching the yard for hosta bits. Sure enough, we found tons of little hostas that had survuved the abuses. We filled the kids wagon with plants!

All in all, we put in 20 new plants around the front of the house.
And there were enough hostas left for Noni to take some for her own garden. The best part, it was all free!

I forgot to water the plants yesterday evening like Noni told me to, but it rained last night! Isn't God good! He provided the plants and watered them too!

"So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow." 1 Corinthians 3:7

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi neighbor! Iris are another hardy one. It can grow almost anywhere.

Niki Jolene said...

i love plants that thrive and divide like hostas!

:)

Candace said...

Good for you!
Gotta love the hosta!