Tuesday, May 20, 2008

You've GOT to be Kidding!

Well, my week is off to an interesting start.

I got a call from the school yesterday morning. Jade had only been there an hour FPS*, what could possibly be wrong? Well, they wanted me to come pick her up. They thought she had impetigo and she needed to go to the doctor. What?!

See, she had scraped her back up pretty bad last week. Teagan put on some salve and a big huge band-aid. When we took the band-aid off Friday night, she had a rash under the entire thing. We assumed she had reacted to the salve or something. We left it open to air out and figured it would heal up on its own. No biggie. Well, unbeknowst to us, the little red rash bumps turned into white bumps, like bad pimples, and had started to spread. I hadn't really checked it before she went to school, so I didn't realize what it looked like. If I had I wouldn't have sent her.

So, I picked her up and took her to the doctor. Sure enough, impetigo. They put her on a fairly strong antibiotic, a liquid one of course. But she has sensory issues with liquid medicines. She gags every time we try to give her one. What is a mom to do?? She has to take it.

The solution: BRIBERY. Yeah, that's right. I'm bribing her. With food & soda no less. It goes against all of "their" parenting rules, but "they" don't live in my house. I wrote her a social story about why she has to take the medicine and I allow her to have a mini can of Diet Coke or a small bag of mini Pringles when she takes it. So far it's working. Thank goodness.

*FPS= For Pete's Sake :-)

No comments: